The School of Writing (TSW) in association with I Am Karachi presented a two day ‘I Am Karachi Museum’. The event was held at Alliance Française de Karachi on 12th-13h June, 2015 in which more than 320 young photographers participated.
The purpose of this event was to show the real Karachi to the world through the eyes of its youth and to make people believe that Karachi is more than protests, violence, bomb blasts and whatever negative is said about it.
All in all, more than 70,000 photographs were selected to depict the beautiful life the residents live in this wonderful city.
Mohsin Tejani, who is the Founder and Executive Director of the School of Writing, said that though the students were taken to the famous landmarks across the city, however, they suggested focusing on all six districts (Karachi East, West, North, South, Malir and Korangi) in their task to highlight the beauty of this city.
The exhibition was followed by an audio-video exhibition, public reading, live music, a traditional-style dhaba and a photo booth.
The following was the schedule for the event:
Program Day | 01
- 5:30 P.M – 06:30 PM Inaugural (Invite only)
- 6:00 P.M – 10:00 PM Exhibition + Guided Tours
- 7:30 P.M – 8:15 PM Public Readings by Asif Farrukhi
- 8:15 P.M – 9:00 PM Public Readings from I Am Karachi Travelogues
Program Day | 02
- 11:00 A.M – 10:00 PM Exhibition + Guided Tours
- 5:00 P.M – 5:45 PM Public Readings by Shandana Minhas
- 5:45 P.M – 6:30 PM Public Readings from I Am Karachi Travelogues
- 7:30 P.M – 8:15 PM Public Readings by Haseena Moin
- 8:30 P.M – 10:00 PM Live Music by Asif Sinan
Here are some glimpses from the event:
To sum it up, I Am Karachi Museum was an excellent initiative to encourage the young generation to take this city seriously and to inculcate the love of their city in them. To me it was an amazing experience and I really look forward to attending it the next time too. Way to go The School of Writing and I Am Karachi!